3 ounces sun-dried tomatoes or 6 ounces of
preserved tomato pieces in oil, drained
1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt and freshly ground
black pepper, to taste
3 large eggs
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
¼ cup small capers, drained
1 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced and lightly
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a standard bread pan.
- If using the dry tomatoes, cover them in boiling water and let them steep. Drain them, pat dry and chop. If using tomato pieces in oil, strain off the oil and pat dry the tomato pieces.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the eggs with the milk and oil.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the flour mix slowly to avoid lumps.
- Fold the cheese, capers, tomato pieces and basil carefully into the batter to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Turn the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top and bake for 45 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 200 degrees.
- Cool on a rack before unmolding.