A+ A A-




1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon dry active yeast

3/4 cup warm water (100 degrees)

3/4 cup bread flour



1-1/2 tablespoons dry mustard dissolved in 3 tablespoons water

2 cups whole wheat flour

3 cups bread flour

1 tablespoon sea salt

1 pint container plain yogurt at room temperature

1/4 cup fruity olive oil

2 - 3 cups sprouted alfalfa, radish, or mung seeds



Starter: Let the yeast foam in warm water before stirring in flour.  Cover and let stand overnight


Dough:  Make up mustard solution 10 minutes before combining it with dry ingredients.  Blend together the flours and salt in a 4 quart mixing bowl using the paddle attachment.  Make a rough dough by stirring the yeast, mustard, yogurt, and oil along with the sprouts into the dry ingredients.  Let it rest for 1 minute.while you remove the paddle and attach a dough hook to the mixer.


Knead the dough on a low speed for 5 minutes, or by hand until it is firm and taut, adding more bread flour to avoid sticking.  Rest the dough for 5 minutes, and then machine knead on a medium speed for 1 minute or by hand for 1 minute.


Turn the dough into a lightly oiled bowl to rise.  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.  Put it in warm place (100 degrees) to rise until it doubles, 1-1/2 to 2 hours.


Gently scrape the dough out of the rising bowl and divide in half on a lightly floured work surface.  Shape two loaves for a final rise in pans:  Fold the dough in half along its long side and seal closed the seam with the side of your hand.  Turn that seam so it is centered on top of the loaf.   Gengly crease it down the center with the side of your hand and fold the dough in half again. Pinch together the edges and turn the seam down.  Fold under the ends of the dough and slip it into a bread pan.


Let the bread rise to the top of the pan, until almost double, about one hour.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Select one of the misting techniques from page 2 and bake for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the bread reaches 200 degrees.  Unmold the loaves and allow them to cool completely on a rack.