Ingredients for an 11” tart shell or 6 individual 3 1/2" molds:
1 vanilla bean
3 ounces (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter at room temperature
3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
3 large egg yolks at room temperature
1 - 1/2 cups + 1/4 cup unbleached flour
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
Unsalted butter for buttering the pan.
Glaze: 1 egg yolk mixed with 1/8 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. waterk
3 cups diced rhubarb
1/3 cup confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 large egg + 2 yolks
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2/3 cup whipping cream
3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Score the vanilla bean along its length. Use a paring knife to scrape out the seeds and process them with the butter and sugar. (Place the vanilla pod in sugar the sugar container for a perpetual supply of vanilla sugar.)
- Pulse the butter and sugar until a thick creamy paste forms in the work bowl of a food processor. Add the egg yolks, pulse, scrape down the sides and process until smooth. Add 1-1/2 cups flour and pulse to form a dough. If the mixture remains creamy, work in the remaining flour, 2 tablespoons at a time. The dough should break up into small balls.
- Scrape the dough out of the bowl onto a lightly dusted sheet of wax paper. Lightly dust the top and flatten it out into a disk. Wrap airtight and refrigerate at least an hour, preferably overnight.
- Butter the bottom of the springform pan. Roll out the chilled pastry between lightly floured sheets of waxed paper. Make the diameter of the pastry 1" larger than the shell. Pull off the top sheet of wax paper and invert the dough over the mold. Gently peel off the remaining sheet and carefully lift drop the edges of the dough against the side of the mold with out stretching it. Trim the dough at the rim and prick it over the bottom. Chill the lined mold 30 minutes, or tightly wrap and chill overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Remove the covering from the shell, place it on a bake sheet and bake for 20 minutes, until it is lightly browned. Brush the bottom with the egg wash and return to the oven for 2 minutes. Cool on a rack.
- Trim the rhubarb stalks and cut into 1/4" dice. Stir the cornstarch into the confectioners’ sugar, add the rhubarb pieces and toss together. Spread the fruit over the bottom of the pre-baked tart shell. Combine the egg and yolks in a small mixing bowl. Whisk in the sugar and cream.. Ladle the custard over the fruit and bake until the filling is lightly set, about 30 minutes.
- Let the tart cool to lukewarm. Dust it with confectioners' sugar before serving warm or at room temperature.